Calentamiento Global (en Ingles)Ensayos para estudiantes : Calentamiento Global (en Ingles). Ensayos de Calidad, Tareas, Monografias - busque más de 2.328.000+ documentos.
Enviado por M4U_FOK4 • 13 de Marzo de 2013 • 1.037 Palabras (5 Páginas) • 753 Visitas
What is global Warming?
Global warming is “an increase in the earth's average atmospheric temperature that causes corresponding changes in climate and that may result from the greenhouse effect.” It takes place all around the world and doesn’t have an official start date because it has always existed; the accelerated increase of the global warming doesn’t have an exact date neither because since the beginning of automobiles, fossil fuel burning, and deforestation we have begun to increase this phenomenon, but it officially begun a worldwide problem in 1997.
What is the greenhouse effect?
“The greenhouse effect refers to circumstances where the short wavelengths of visible light from the sun pass through a transparent medium and are absorbed, but the longer wavelengths of the infrared re-radiation from the heated objects are unable to pass through that medium.” There is the natural greenhouse effect which is the one that regulates the temperature or earth and allows the possibility of life and is supported by the water and carbon cycle; this effect has existed for millions of years. There is also the accelerated greenhouse effect that is a new effect that is caused by the excess of greenhouse gases which the carbon cycle can’t deal with. This causes global warming.
Why have greenhouse gases increased?
Greenhouse gases have increased for 3 main reasons, these are:
1. Forests are being cut down. Trees absorb CO2 (carbon dioxide) so when trees are cut down less CO2 is absorbed which means that more is kept inside the atmosphere. Agriculture and heavy industries are producers of CO2 as well. It is estimated that tree cutting produces 18% (5.9 billion tons) of global dioxide.
2. Fossil fuels are being burned. Burning oil, gas, petroleum, etc. has produced about 27 billion tons of CO2 per year!
3. World’s population is growing. Like most problems greenhouse gas is also in part caused by over population and this is because the more the people, the bigger the demand so more forests must be cut down and more fossil fuels must be burned this means… more CO2 emissions.
4. Methane emissions from animals, agriculture and arctic seabeds. Methane is an extremely potent greenhouse gas. Methane is caused when an oxygen-starved bacteria breaks down organic matter (as in rice paddies). Methane is also produced in the intestines of herbivorous animals, and with the increase of livestock, this means that the levels of methane released to the atmosphere increase. Methane is also released when arctic seabed breaks because there is Methane trapped between ice crystals.
5. Increase of chemical fertilizers. In the last century the use of chemical fertilizers has increased dramatically. These fertilizers use nitrogen oxides which hold over 300 times the heat capacity than normal fertilizers. The excess of these fertilizers create dead zones in the ocean.
The causes of global warming and its effects.
Since global warming is caused is caused by the increase of greenhouse gases all the causes of greenhouse gas increase are the causes of global warming.
Effects of global warming:
1. Rise in sea levels worldwide. Scientists predict that the meeting of 2 giant ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica will raise sea levels. This could displace millions of people; as a matter of fact Maldives is already searching for a new home due to sea rise.
2. More killer storms. Scientists say that global warming will eventually cause the most extreme storms worldwide. The maximum wind speed of storms has increased significantly since 1981 and doesn’t seem to decrease any time soon.
3. Massive crop failures. Climate change is expected to have severe impacts over food production, economic development and damage ecosystems.
4. Extinction of species. Rising temperatures could lead to the extinction to more than 1 million species and humans can’t exist with a diverse population of species on earth, bad news for us!
5. Disappearance of coral reefs. Coral populations could collapse by 2100 due to sea acidification and temperature raise.
Global warming wrecks all the fun.
If global warming keeps up we would have to say goodbye to:
• Christmas trees
• Vacation in Alaska
(2013, 03). Calentamiento Global (en Ingles). ClubEnsayos.com. Recuperado 03, 2013, de https://www.clubensayos.com/Acontecimientos-Sociales/Calentamiento-Global-en-Ingles/598304.html
"Calentamiento Global (en Ingles)" ClubEnsayos.com. 03 2013. 2013. 03 2013 <https://www.clubensayos.com/Acontecimientos-Sociales/Calentamiento-Global-en-Ingles/598304.html>.
"Calentamiento Global (en Ingles)." ClubEnsayos.com. ClubEnsayos.com, 03 2013. Web. 03 2013. <https://www.clubensayos.com/Acontecimientos-Sociales/Calentamiento-Global-en-Ingles/598304.html>.
"Calentamiento Global (en Ingles)." ClubEnsayos.com. 03, 2013. consultado el 03, 2013. https://www.clubensayos.com/Acontecimientos-Sociales/Calentamiento-Global-en-Ingles/598304.html.